Friday 10 August 2012

V&A Ballgown Exhibition and a Few Recent Purchases


After blogging about it a while back, I finally got to see the 'Ballgowns: British Glamour since 1950' exhibition at the V&A museum in London. The entrance fee is a bit hefty (£7.00 for students, £11 otherwise) but it is so beautifully curated over two floors that I decided to forgive them.

Erdem

It is located in the middle of the V&A's famous clothing collection. The downstairs is dedicated to 1950 - late 1990s. It features ballgowns from various well known designers and pieces from lesser known designers. However, the focus downstairs was definitely on the occasion and the wearers with dresses that have graced the back of royals and Hollywood greats. Most of the labels detailed who wore them, when, and for which occasion. The cardboard accessories that accompanied some of the dresses were a bit naff but I guess they're not the main focus here. For me, Victor Edelstein's black and red evening gown with the huge bow detailing stole the show.

Diana in the 'Elvis' dress by Catherine Walker

Victor Edelstein's dress in centre (Image credit)

Upstairs was definitely the best part of the exhibition for me. It was full of contemporary ballgowns from the likes of Stella McCartney, Erdem, Vivienne Westwood and John Galliano. It was also an opportunity to get my Veruca Salt on, tugging on my boyfriend's sleeve loudly proclaiming 'I WANT it!' while staring longingly over Sarah Burton's feathered piece from Alexander McQueen S/S11.

Alexander McQueen S/S11




Gareth Pugh created a dress specifically for the exhibition. It was an amazing piece crafted out of metallic pieces.

Gareth Pugh (image credit)

If, like me, you're captivated by pieces of clothing that verge on works of art then this exhibition is a must-see. I was surprised by the amount of lesser-known designers involved but some of their pieces outshone the big guns!

In other news, I have acquired a few accessories lately:

Silver origami bird - H&M - £4.99

How lovely is this little necklace?! I've had my eye on both the silver and gold in H&M for a little while and my lovely boyfriend surprised me to this little gem earlier today (before he left for the US, girlfriend woes). Although my gold jewellery collection is slowly growing, I've always been more of a silver person. Do you find you have an allegiance to either silver or gold?

Black wedge pumps - H&M - £19.99

For me these are a kind of cross between a flatform and a wedge, making them acceptable and comfortable to wear during the day - hurrah! The boyfriend contributed to these too which was much appreciated as I've been into H&M at least three times over the past couple of weeks to prance about in them.

Silver bow ring - V&A Museum, London - £7.99

I saw this when I visited the V&A for the ballgown exhibition and was immediately taken with it. If I remember rightly Whistles did a version a while back and either this is a Whistles ring commissioned by the V&A or they've ripped them off... who knows! 

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, I absolutely fell in love with that first dress you posted & those wedges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are beyond amazing! I love your ring too! I wish I could have seen an exhibit like that!

    http://kelformity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those wedgess!!!!! theyre gorgeous! :) great pictures! :D Xx
    http://alittleebitofeverything.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete